Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Not-So-Terrible Two's



Dearest Jonah,

Today you turn 2 1/2 years old. You are not a baby anymore. You have become a little boy in the blink of an eye.

I watch everyday in amazement as you explore this world and your environment and learn new words, new feelings, and new discoveries. You are fascinated with understanding and learning how things work, how they feel, and how they function. You learned in a matter of minutes how to use an iPhone while I'm still trying to figure out how to answer a call. You have mastered playing DVD's on Daddy's Playstation 3 while I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the main menu. You have a brilliant ability to figure things out on your own without our help.

You are loving, caring and sensitive to others feelings. On more than one occasion when I'm upset you have asked "Mommy, are you okay?", "Mommy, are you sad?" and followed up those words with a hug and kiss to make me feel better and it always does. My favorite times with you are in the morning when you first wake up because you always wake up with the biggest smile on your face (unless I have to wake you up very early which I really try to avoid at all costs!) and tell me "Mommy, I wake up!" I also love it at night when we crawl into your bed, read, pray and talk about our day. You are the classic definition of a snugglebug and I love that you always play with my hair as you are falling asleep.

You are funny, entertaining, and for the most part always happy. The only time you are not happy is when I tell you that you can't wear your Wiggles shirt to school two days in a row or we run out of Fruit Loops. We finally compromised and now I wash your Wiggle shirt everyday so that you can sleep in it at night and I've learned to keep two boxes of Fruit Loops in the pantry at all times. You love to sing, dance, watch your DVD's, and read your books outloud to us.

You love trying new things, something I think you inherited from both of us. At one point you were hesitant about trying new foods but you have come around and now enjoy trying new tastes, textures and flavors. Sometimes you like it and sometimes you end up giving it to Riley under the table. The main victory is you try it now. Now if I can just get you to try sushi!

Sometimes you can be stubborn but I think that comes with being 2 1/2 years old. Then again it is probably more genetic than age-related. When you are in your stubborn state and not listening to us all I have to do is start counting which you hate and very rarely do I ever get to number three! I hope this lasts until you are 18 or better yet until you are married with your own children.

Being away from you during the day while you are at pre-school and I'm sitting on boring conference calls aches my heart! I daydream about all the things we could be doing together and I hope you know that I miss you every moment I am not with you.

Happy 2 1/2 year birthday! I'll admit I was always nervous about the so-called terrible two's but I can honestly say - I wish I could keep you this age forever.

Love,
Mommy

4 comments:

Cody Jo said...

Monda.....

What a wonderful message for your son to have and remember forever!!!

He is SO lucky to have you as a MOMMY!!!!

Take Care and keep up the great job of being a Mommy..

Miss You...

Cody

lauren_kitts said...

monda you honestly are the best mom I know I hope that you always have faith in yourself as a parent because you really do have the best little boy in the world Jonah is growing to be an amazing little boy and it is all because of you and josh. We all wish we had parents like you growing up and Jonah is a very lucky boy. We love you!

vinceandjenn said...

You are such a great mommy to such a sweet boy!

The DLG's said...

Monda- Such a beautiful letter, I got tears! They grow up so fast...

Website Content and Copy: The Schneider Family, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.